Saturday, May 16, 2015

Don't rush - lesson #35674

I usually can never end a week without some kind of funny exchange with Superhero. 

Superhero - "When Department Hottie was stuck in Everest after the Nepal earthquake, half the guys in the department wanted to rush out there to save her..."
Sidekick - "I wonder if I ever got stuck somewhere...."
Superhero - "like a typhoon in Manila....?"
Sidekick - "yeah.. Like a typhoon.. How many do you think will come and save me?"
Superhero - "none. Cos I'll be telling everyone, Sidekick is a tough cookie la! She can save herself, no need to worry! She'll send us an email when she gets a broadband connection...!"

Idiot. As I said, re-wiring of my portrayal needed. 
----------------------------------
April 2014 - I'd just landed in Singapore. Just unpacked my things, explored the neighbourhood. I remember being slightly out of breath as I climbed killiney road up to my place from NTUC, lugging bags from my first ever grocery run in Singapore. 

It was sunny, I was sweating, but my mind was free. I squinted at the sun and told myself, "This is new. For once, my mind is full of nothing except how warm the sun is on my skin, and how I'm ever going to manage cooking on such a small stove." 

A year later, would I say I'm set back? Not progressed? Not entirely true. 

But it took so much time for me to let my mind rest. Countless weekend wanderings in bookstores, going to see musicals, learning why Singapore office workers love to go have coffee in the middle of the day at Raffles Place... Basically prodding to see what I liked about life. 

That's why I'm utterly puzzled at how or why some things can be rushed, why some people rush. I had always been happy taking my time, poking around. Why did I let the rush get to me? It's so stressful already at work, I should from now on make it an eleventh commandment to write off rushing so many things. 

The job is calling - my pre-negotiated arrangement for my role is being raised. I know what I feel about it, but I've since learned that one's head and heart must be aligned, otherwise it would cause significant disruption in life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment