Saturday, May 23, 2015

Snippets

Snip, snip. 

Part of my "be present" undertaking, is to remember more of what I do. 

The moment my head sank down on the white plush pillows at the newly opened Fairmont Jakarta, I knew in my heart I'd found something I didn't know I was needing for a very long time. A preciously soft, sinking, floating night's sleep. Until well, my CEO called in the middle of the night wanting his phone charger back and I had to run sans makeup, in tatty shorts, down to the lobby. Great impressions! 

We were sniffing the Chilean Pinot Noir in the hotel's only FnB outlet after I had agreed to go against my judgement of no South American whatever when Superhero said "Be glad you aren't one of those working women there and you don't have to sleep with a fat ass for money tonight". 

Again, perspective. That and learning not to be swept up, to rush, to play to so many other tunes have led to a slower pace, but not without a price to pay. Then again, other people pay their whole lives for something so who am I to talk. 

Flew back and was accosted by a father and small girl in the apartment lobby. 

Man - "can you make sure she gets to the 16th floor? She doesn't want me to go up with her." 

In the lift, instinct just kicked in and I just to ask, "which button is 16? Let's see....."

Clearly she hadn't yet learned to count but she said "it's around here..." Pointing out of memory, I suppose.

At her floor, she said she would turn left (at least she got that one right lol) and told me Thank you aunty in the sweetest voice ever that I forgave her a million times for calling me "Aunty." 

Getting home, I see my sports shoes laid out nicely for the site visit and I groan so hard that I literally am praying for a flood or calamity to occur so I won't have to fly out again. The person who said change is made by one's own hands clearly did not have a boss to report to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment